Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for vaginal infection

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I apparently lost a tampon inside me the last time I had my period which was about 4 wks ago. I didn't realize it until tonight when it came out of me. I had spotted off and on and the odor was awful- especially after my husband and I had sex. I thought I had yeast infection, so I made an appt with my OBGYN, but couldn't keep the appt because I had a sick child that morning and I didn't reschedule because my symptoms seemed to have cleared up. When it came out tonight the odor was awful. I am freaking out because it's the weekend, so obviously my dr wont' be in tomorrow and we are scheduled to leave town tomorrow evening for a weeks vacation. please help me.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Lost tampon inside vagina for long time causes bacterial or fungal infection, leads to bad smell vaginal discharge by altering vaginal pH. Bacterial Vaginosis or yeast infection is quite common in this circumference. TREATMENT: 1) Vaginal suppository or anti-fungal vaginal tab like CANDID CL can be used for 3 to 5 days. Supportive oral antibiotic like Metronidazole etc may be required according to Culture and Sensitivity test of discharge. 2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream or maintain vaginal pH with RepHresh pH gel to avoid repeated infection. VAGISIL cream can be used prior to intimation each time and maintain genital hygiene before & after sex. 3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately. 4) Take healthy diet as you have mentioned with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, Selenium, Zinc, Lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. 5) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Don't practice unprotected sex till the problem is completely resolved. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vaginal infection 17 minutes later
Thank you for answering in a timely manner. Can I acquire any of these treatment creams or the Vaginal suppository or anti-fungal vaginal tab like CANDID CL over the counter or do I need a prescription? thank you so much- it is much appreciated. -Anna
Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: PRESCRIPTION ONLY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Above mentioned medicines are prescription only. Therefore, you must contact with local doctor for complete prescription before acting on them. Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor