• question-icon

Suggest treatment for urinary bladder infection

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in General Health
Question: If you have been diagnosed with Bacterial infections from two different bacteria which are Klebiesrella and Proteus, what antibiotics would you take? The proteus is not as prominent.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an antibiogram is required

Detailed Answer:

the bacteria names themselves is not enough information to determine the most appropriate treatment. The antibiogram is the right test to find out. Since you've done a culture, I'm sure your doctor also ordered an antibiogram. So do you have any reports to show me?

Ciprofloxacin should be fine for the pathogens you've mentioned if they're not resistant to it. You can't really know without the antibiogram. The risk for resistance is higher if you've taken antibiotics recently or if you've been to the hospital. Cefuroxime should be OK for most cases. Cefuroxime is better regarding safety because ciprofloxacin may interact with amiodarone and cause serious arrhythmias.

So in conclusion, although ciprofloxacin is more potent for urinary tract infections (which I suppose is your case), cefuroxime sounds like a more reasonable choice safety-wise. An antibiogram would have settled this issue easily.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis