Suggest treatment for unusual mental status of my sister

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 28 Apr 2014 in Mental Health
Question: ear Ashish Sir, I am XXXXXX a resident of North West Delhi. I have a sister who is 21 years old. To start with she has locked herself into the room.She does not like anything except for television and food.She does not brushes and has lost all the necessary will to move ahead.She is carrying lot of qualms against her family members especially mother for reasons which are natural to this age. This all happened few years ago when she was studying in school XIIth standard. She suffered from some eye disorder which took few month for the complete treatment. She since then left her studies and has grown to this stage in last 4 years. She used to be very intelligent and excellent dancer but has put on lot of weight in the due course.However she has got a very sweet voice. We want her to get up again and move. We want her to start living again and live an ordinary life like any individual.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 21 year old female • Left studies 4 years back. • Complaints of: Not doing anything except TV watching, locking herself in room and poor self care. • No response to reki From the history there is chances of having psychosis in your sister. In psychosis patient may have some of the following symptoms: -Suspiciousness or fearfulness: That may be the reason she kept herself locked. -Loss of contact with reality and living in imaginary world. -Talking or laughing to self -Lack of self care. -Lack of insight: Deny to have any problem. Usually these patient do not respond to ayurvedic, homeopathic and other therapies (yoga/reki). She need evaluation by psychiatrist to confirm diagnosis. Primary mode of treatment in such cases is treatment with antipsychotic medicines and patients show significant response after treatment. She had already lost her precious 4 years in-spite of having good treatment for such cases. So take first and show her to nearby psychiatrist. If you can come in Gurgaon, you can meet me with her. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 35 minutes later
Dear Sir, Thanks for the reply. The symptoms you suggested resembles closely to the problem she is facing right now and we would really want to take your consultation further and suggest how to proceed further.However I would really appreciate if you can share the contact details to personally discuss with you certain queries. Regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. You can view my contact details on www.99doctor.com. It is better to meet me personally in place of calling, due to my busy schedule. Please accept my answer and give feedback in case there is no further query and you found reply helpful. In case of doubt, I am here to help you. Wish you good health. Regards