question-icon

Suggest Treatment For Tinnitus And Ear Pain While Swallowing

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017
Question: Good evening,

I'm writnig because it's been 5 days now since I've been hearing a squeaky sound (like an old wooden door opening, or a squeaky toy) inside my left ear every time I am swallowing something. I've noticed the sound intensifies when I am laying down. I feel no pain at all, and I've had Tinnitus since I was young (ringing in the ears) and learnt to manged it for a while, however this is a totally different sound and it worries me as it is very clear and loud.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
TM joint click with arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The sound in the ear on opening mouth is due to temporomandibular joint.
Get a temporomandibular joint xray done with open and closed mouth.
Any pain in joint on touching?
Take tablet cinnarizine twice daily for tinnitus. take calcium supplements.
Avoid chewing on hard things like nuts or chewing continuously like a chewing gum etc.
Avoid ear phones usage or excessive XXXXXXX use and get a pure tone audiometry done to assess the cause for tinnitus.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist