Suggest treatment for tenderness, swelling and redness in the ankle

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, my husband got up on Thursday morning with slight tenderness in his left ankle; it had gotten progressively worse. He has not suffered any injury. His inner ankle is red, swollen, very tender and walking is very difficult. He occasionally suffers a bursa flare up in the same leg in his knee...the pain and inflammation at the ankle appears the same as the occasional knee issue. Any suggestions for treatment at home or over the counter? We are uninsured and would like to avoid a doctor's visit if possible. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infection or inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
A red swollen and very tender ankle without any injury can be due to an inflammation or an infection in the area. In addition to the pain killers you can do a hot compress in the area for relief and keep the leg elevated to reduce the swelling. Avoid weight bearing on the leg and in case the pain and swelling persists then do consult your physician for prescription antibiotics or steroids depending on the case.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal