Suggest treatment for symptoms of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am 30 yrs ld female. Having a 3 years old son. Last 6 months I started getting weird heart palpitation every once in a while (Just one beat) where it literally feels like my heart is beating outside and in my throat for a second. It scares me and then within a few seconds it just goes away. Have taken TMT, Echo and ECG and everything seems normal.
My heamoglobin level is also 12. Thyroid is normal. Please let me know what causes this and is something serious?
Have consulted cardiologist and they say ECHO is normal and nothing to bother. But still I wanted to find out why it is happening? Please help me.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a case of PSVT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have very carefully gone through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your are having bouts of PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia). It is a harmless condition characterized by sudden increase in heart rate which manifests with palpitation as in your case. Since the heart rate normalizes subsequently, a ECG, TMT or echo will all give normal findings. However, if a 24 hours Holter ECG monitoring is done and if you have any episode during that period, the actual case can be clearly documented.

You need not panic. The condition is otherwise harmless except for the discomfort it may cause.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

How to treat this condition? Whether PSVT leads to sudden cardiac arrest or death? is there any treatment for this?
Should I not do any exercise or XXXXXXX namaskar?
What type of food I should avoid?
Please help me.

Thanks,
XXXX
Brief Answer:
You need not panic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

PSVT does not lead to sudden cardiac arrest or death. Treatment can be done with a class of drugs called beta blockers, although treatment is not quite essential unless to resolve the symptoms. Before going for that, you should get the Holter monitoring done.

There is no specific food to avoid. It is a general advice to avoid junk food. Take small but frequent meals. It is very essential to walk briskly daily in the morning. I do not think XXXXXXX namaskar would be useful but there are various yoga techniques that would be beneficial.

Please do not panic. It will only make things worse.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor. This helps. I was very much scared and was expecting when it comes next. I am leading a very painful life becoz of this. Everytime I get cough after getting an episode.

Hi Doctor,

I don't get that on daily basis. May be once in a week or three days once. So how to apply that monitor.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may wait

Detailed Answer:
If you can accept the occasional palpitations as a part of life, nothing needs to be done and no medicines are required. You may skip the monitoring in that case. It is only if you are too bothered that treatment needs to be administered. Going through the following links should help:
XXXX
XXXX