• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen ankles

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I was very sick with colitis in Sept and early Oct, but now I think I am fine again...some gas, but that's normal for me. I chose not to have a colonoscopy because of my age (88) sex (F) and how really sick my gut was. I worried about perforation. I'm in good health with the help of misc medications. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, borderline type 2 diabetes. My big problem is swollen ankles which I have never had before!!! Thank you, doctor. I take a half of a tiny synthroid about twice a week among other meds. Swollen ankles make me feel OLD and annoyed!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs assessment, dependant edema, renal evaluation and echo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Not to have colonoscopy at age of 88 was wise decision as it could bring more harm than good and not needed when slight conservative management can fix the issue.

Swollen ankles, however needs evaluation as with low thyroid hormones and high blood pressure, i would consider that for cardiac congestive failure and renal impairement. Although former is usually associated with shortness of breath and chest symptoms. So i would suggest an echo and renal functions assessment. Once both of these ruled out, the next likely cause of these swollen ankle would be nutritional dependent edema common in old age and nothing to worry about and managed with just supportive care.

Nutshell get some work up for ankle edema and rule out sinister causes and managed accordingly. I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan