Suggest treatment for swollen and tender palm and fingers

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The base of my index finger on the palm has been swollen and tender for a couple of weeks. The finger is also swollen. I can bend and use the finger, but it is limited. If I don't use it it seems to subside, but that's not always possible. Wondering if it will go away by itself or what I might do to facilitate that.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Splint, Xray

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

You may have sustained injury or it could be due to arthritis. Apply warm pack if it is a chronic pain. Apply ice if it is a recent injury.

Do get an Xray to look for arthritis. You can wear a finger extension splint for relief. Take Tablet Acetaminophen 500mg thrice a day for pain relief.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad