Suggest treatment for swollen and bruised leg

General Surgeon
Question
My daughter banged her leg just below the knee. By the end of the day it was hugely swollen and bruised. The swelling subsided but the bruise ended up about 4 inches in diameter! It still hurts. Looks lighter in some spots but also looks like it's traveling down her leg. I'm thinking maybe the bone was bruised. Is it normal for the purple to travel like that?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The discolouration is due to ecchymosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

The bluish discolouration which you see below the knee is ecchymosis sustained due to trauma. It is bleeding in the skin and subcutaneous tissue secondary to trauma. The final picture of it may be bigger than that at time of trauma due to seeping of blood . It's unlikely to be due to bone injury as there is no deformity.
If there is severe pain and tenderness then X ray of the involved part will be required.

The discolouration will persist for 1 to 2 weeks time before slowly fading away.

I would suggest you the following
1. Hot water fomentation
2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen
3. Elevate the affected limb while sleeping by placing pillow below the leg

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon