Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

149 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for swollen and bruised leg

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
My daughter banged her leg just below the knee. By the end of the day it was hugely swollen and bruised. The swelling subsided but the bruise ended up about 4 inches in diameter! It still hurts. Looks lighter in some spots but also looks like it's traveling down her leg. I'm thinking maybe the bone was bruised. Is it normal for the purple to travel like that?
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The discolouration is due to ecchymosis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

The bluish discolouration which you see below the knee is ecchymosis sustained due to trauma. It is bleeding in the skin and subcutaneous tissue secondary to trauma. The final picture of it may be bigger than that at time of trauma due to seeping of blood . It's unlikely to be due to bone injury as there is no deformity.
If there is severe pain and tenderness then X ray of the involved part will be required.

The discolouration will persist for 1 to 2 weeks time before slowly fading away.

I would suggest you the following
1. Hot water fomentation
2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen
3. Elevate the affected limb while sleeping by placing pillow below the leg

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take care
Best regards
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon