• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling on the knuckles and joints of the index finger

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: a part of my index finger has swelled up between the knuckle and the first joint. There is no pain. There has been no injury such as jamming it. There doesn't seem to be any insect bites or lesion of any kind. It is just swollen to double its usual size.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
NSAIDs may help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The mentioned area seems inflamed. I would insist you to upload an image of the affected area. Also mention if the area is warm and tender. Also get your blood pressure checked and mention how much it is. (You might need some medication that might otherwise lower your blood pressure.) Also mention if you suffer from joint pains and whether you are feverish. You need to take some NSAID like ibuprofen twice daily for the next 3 days. Be sure to take it in full stomach. Topical ice application should provide relief. If it does not resolve in the next few days it would be advisable to visit a doctor and to get it further evaluated. However, prior to that please send me the image and I would try to guide you.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Blood pressure 127/78. No pain. No tenderness. Arthritis in my other hand, but none in this hand yet. No fever or illness of any other kind. I took a photo of the affected hand and for comparison, the other hand, but cannot figure out how to send it with your program. Give me an e-mail address, and I'll ship it right off.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Process of upload mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Thanks for mentioning the blood pressure. If I had a patient like you I would have given him Tab. Aquazide (hydrochlorothiazide) 12.5 mg once daily for the next few days. The blood pressure has to be monitored during this period. Meanwhile the NSAIDs like ibuprofen would need to be given for the next few days.

You can upload the attachments using the facility on the upper right of this page. Alternatively you can email the attachments to YYYY@YYYY with the query id 341282 and my name mentioned in the subject.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 55 minutes later
I sent you two pictures via email: one of the affected left hand and one of the right hand so you might be able to compare what that finger looks like normally.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Taking the mentioned medicine should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for sending the images. I have checked them. There is indeed some swelling and I hope that the suggestions that I have given would be useful. Discuss with your treating physician.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha