Suggest treatment for swelling on labia minora after using epsom salt

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My labia minora is slightly swollen. I had a sebaccous cyst on the left labia. My docotor saw it and recommended sitz bath with epsom salt. I put the salt directly but some how the salt spread and it burned. So i jumped in the tub and used the shower head to rinse it off. The other labia is slighty swollen. Could the salt have irritated it and made it slightly swollen ?
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ice pack

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

It seems you have scalded your delicate skin of vulva by concentrated salt. It is good step on your part immediately to wash the parts off the corrosive chemical.

Now just apply cold cream and apply ice packs to it which will help soothening and healing it. In addition get Lactobacilli perineal wash (Lactacyd like products) it will help regaining the pH of perineum and minimize the caustic effect of Epsom salt.

Labia minora is a very delicate organ and needs a very tender care.

Till your lesions are healed completely, try avoiding use of underwear if possible. No local irritation to Labia minora.

For any more information or additional advice, please feel free to ask me anytime, XXXXXXX

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 6 minutes later
Thank you so much Doctor. What is cold cream is that like hydrocortisone ?
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Body lotion

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Cold cream is without any medicine. It is the routine body lotion that you apply to the body. Still better will be facial cream. Please use plain cream without any fragrance in it. We want to have just a soothing effect. Chemicals used for fragrance may irritate the delicate Labia minora and Clitoris and make the condition worse. You may apply plain vaginal jellies usually used for lubrication during intercourse. Please do not use hydrocortisone. It may worsen the condition by inviting infection.

Sits bath in cold water may help you - plain cold water without any chemical or medicine to it. Just squat in the tub bath with plain cold water in the bath.

For any other query, I am always available for you, XXXXXXX Meanwhile, you may post a good review for me with 5 stars rating.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 7 minutes later
Thank you Doctor you are so smart. Thank you so much. Is aloe Vera okay plain no fragrance? Last question also how long will it take to get better ?
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About a week maximum

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

You may apply aloe vera cream. It is very nice soothing cream with a good healing effect.

It should not take more than a week for healing.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri