Suggest treatment for swelling and pain in knee post an injury

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 1 week and half ago I tripped and fell on the cement in my driveway. My knee swelled up and is painful. 3 days after I went in to urgent care. Took x-Ray no broken bones. It has now been 1 week since I went to urgent care and it still is swollen and painful. I can walk though and when I squat down my knee makes a popping sound and hurt. Most of the pain is on my left lateral area of my knee. I have been using PRICE. I am just not sure what to do.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be ligament tear.

Detailed Answer:
The persistent pain and swelling in the knee with a popping sound on bending with no bone injury is likely to be due to ligament or meniscus injury.
You need to get an MRI scan of the knee done to find out the extent of damage. Avoid weight bearing on the knee and use a knee brace till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal