Suggest treatment for swelling and itching on fractured toe

Pediatrician
Question
Broke my baby toe two weeks ago today. I have them buddy taped as long as I can stand the pain but it is still swollen and now it is very itchy. Should I get rechecked or is this normal?
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Broken toe

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. Sorry about the toe.
What you are describing is expected. You are doing everything correctly. However, sometimes the healing process can take some time. That is why you still have symptoms.
The itching is most likely caused by the tape itself. You do not necessarily have to keep the toes buddy taped 24 hours a day. You can remove the tape when you bathe. Applying moisturizer, or even an anti itch cream or gel, like benadryl, would be fine and can actually help.
You don't have to be overly concerned.