• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swelling and bruising in the leg

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left leg swells from top to ankle. It is bruise on inside top of leg down front and back at knee. The leg is very painful and is worse when I first standup. I fell a couple of months ago and had a large bruise on the left thigh but could walk on it and never had it x-rayed,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to infection.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling and bruise in the leg with clot ruled out can be due to a fracture or infection or a blood related disorder. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done. The treatment will depend on the diagnosis.
You should follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:
1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
I fell to tell you I have Osteoarthritis, curvature of the spine and several other problems with my back. but this problem seems to be with the left leg.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be related to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The swelling can be related to osteoarthritis but other cause should be ruled out after proper tests.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon