question-icon

Suggest treatment for superficial folliculitis on inner thigh

Posted on Thu, 24 Sep 2015
Question: I woke up this morning with this on the inside of my thigh. What is it?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
hi XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcaremagic
I have seen the photograph you have uploaded. Though it is not very clear but it looks like a case of insect bite hypersensitivity reaction. You haven't mentioned about the symptoms like whether these bumps are itchy, painful or burning?
I would recommend you to send a clearer picture along with the symptoms so that I can guide you in a better manner.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (57 minutes later)
It was itchy this morning its isnt really anymore but it feels irratated
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This time the picture is quite clear and it is superficial folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicle. It can be due to infection, certain chemicals like mineral oils, beneath adhesive dressings and following epilation.
Superficial folliculitis of chemical or physical origin will settle down once you remove the cause. Otherwise you can apply a topical antibiotic like mupirocin.This will settle in 4-5 days.
Hope I have answered your query.
regards Dr Asmeet
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist