Suggest treatment for stone in urinary tract

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My daughter, age 23, has been diagnosed with a stone 2 mm dia in the urinary tract after ultrasound and ct scan. The pain is very severe and comes suddenly. She has been prescribed urimax, pain killer sos, proteact mb6. And plenty of fluids. What is the best way to treat this? Will the stone be flushed out on its own? What is the best thing to do when pain starts? Any restrictions on diet? Pls help as we are confused as to what to do when the pain starts. Can she attend office as she is normal otherwise? What to do if the pain starts during her commuting time?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can attend her office.

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am sorry for your daughter's ill health. A stone of 2 mm should usually come done on it's own. However, if it gets impacted, then it cannot. She has been given appropriate symptomatic treatment for pain relief and to conservatively manage the stone. There is lot of chance that it can come out on it's own and so I suggest you to patiently weight.

If pain comes suddenly, she should use the prescribed pain reliever and should also get scan repeated as we can assess whether it is getting impacted somewhere.

She can attend her office. No diet restriction as of now, but drink plenty of water. Follow up scan may be required and you can discuss about it with treating doctor.

If the pain is getting repeated frequently, then she can opt for an out[atient procedure called Endoscopic shock wave lithotripsy.

Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj