Suggest treatment for side effect of testosterone injection

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am taking testosterone injection 300 ml on a two week cycle. I have been noticing my hair thinking and receding .. a side affect ... can I do anything to prevent
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Testosterone

Detailed Answer:
What you are describing is a well known side effect of testosterone treatment, and it appears you are aware of this fact.

What can be done about it is that you can take the lowest possible dose to keep your testosterone in the mid 300 range, so that your symptoms of testosterone deficiency do not occur and at the same time you do not take unnecessarily higher doses which tend to cause the hair loss at the angles.

Endocrinologists fine tune the dose and frequency based upon how the individual feels and also by gauging blood levels. Sometimes gels provide steady blood levels and avoid the peaks and troughs that occur with injections. So they can potentially avoid high blood levels of testosterone that are associated with the hair loss side effect
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 days later
If I stop taking testosterone will the hair loss reverse
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Well if it indeed entirely a side effect from testosterone treatment alone, it is expected to improve significantly and possibly reverse all together.

The only way to be sure is try stopping and waiting several weeks and perhaps even longer as the hair growth cycle is in months.

However I must advise to consult your endocrinologist before you consider stopping testosterone. This entails a systematic assessment as to whether or not you truly have testosterone deficiency