Suggest treatment for severe vomiting

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am throwing up everything from last night. even if i take water in two hours i get vomit.
stomach is not settled and i can feel some sounds from that. Can you please help me with solution and also how long does it take to recover.
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires a few more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

I have read through your query and can certainly understand your concern,

From the symptoms you have described here, it seems you have had a food poisoning.

Before I could guide you any further, I would like to know a few more details related:

- do you have associated loose stools, abdominal pain, fever?
- any history of food from outside recently?
- have you tried any medication?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to take Tab. EMESET 4mg one tablet, soon enough to stop the vomiting. Take it twice daily for 2 days and then as an when needed.

Need for any further medications like antibiotics can be decided on the above details only.

Kindly revert back soon with your details.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 5 minutes later

Thanks for quick response, Yes.

- do you have associated loose stools, abdominal pain, fever? - Yes (fever not much)
- any history of food from outside recently? - Yes had food outside for few times
- have you tried any medication? - Not tried yet.

And do you think this is serious?
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for writing back,

From the details give, you do seem to have a bacterial or viral food poisoning.

Therefore, it is advisable to start with broad spectrum coverage antibiotic.

If I was your treating physician, I would suggest you to do the following:

- Take an antibiotic comprising of a combination of ofloxacin and ornidazole, which is an antibiotic, to be taken twice daily for 5 days.

- take Tab. EMESET 4mg twice daily for 2 days and then only if needed, to treat profuse vomiting.

- Always keep yourself hydrated by consuming plenty of fluids, fruit juices.

- consume bland foods like soups, curd, fruits.

- avoid outside food for a few days henceforth.

- If at all you seem to have repeated episodes of loose stools which can be tiring, you may consider Tab. ENUF once.

Just make sure to keep yourself hydrated and this should resolve soon enough.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close and give your feedback.

Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 4 minutes later
Can you give the exact tab name :

Take an antibiotic comprising of a combination of ofloxacin and ornidazole

Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for writing back,

You can take Tab. Oflox- Oz, which has the same combination.

Hope this helps.