Suggest treatment for severe sinus infection

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can I have a sinus infection without discolored discharge? My glands on my left side are swollen and I feel dizzy somewhat after cardio. Have not felt this way before. Have had these headaches since end of December (mountain cedar allergy ).
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

The swollen glands(which I suppose that you are talking about Lymph node Glands in the neck) suggests that there is infection/inflammation in the nose,sinus cavity or throat.

Edema and congestion in the nasal cavity leading to blockage of Sinus opening may occur due to Allergy.Blockage of Sinus opening will lead to Sinusitis(Inflammation of Sinus).Bacterial infection in the collected sinus secretions may occur leading to yellowish pus discharge.

You are taking Zyrtec,Claritin Nasal Spray and Netti pot.Continue with these.They will help against Allergy and reducing inflammation in nose and Sinuses.

In addition,you may find relief by taking the following medicines:
Oral Decongestant like Phenylephrine and Nasal Decongestant Drops like Oxymetazoline(take Decongestant only if you are not suffering from Hypertension,Heart/kidney/liver disease or high pressure in the eyes-Glaucoma),
Analgesic with Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen with Antacid like Rantac,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol.

Also try to avoid to mountain cedar pollens.Avoid cold food and dust.Drink lots of warm fluids.Do steam inhalation.

After following the above measures,if your symptoms are not improving after around 3 days,then you might need to start Oral Antibiotics after consulting Otolaryngologist(ENT) Doctor.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad