Suggest treatment for severe nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness and fatigue

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife is 62 and had what we thought was stomach flu about 3 weeks ago with nausea and diarrhea she has gotten over most of the GI symptoms but still does not have much of an appetite and has been weak and fatigued. This has been very slow to improve however her appetite is some better is still not back to normal what else should we do?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A few instructions and suggestions listed to help ma'am with her appetite

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I am sorry to hear about your wife, but sadly it is the same for almost all individuals who get the stomach flu, although the recovery is slow, their appetite does gradually return after the infection completely subsides.

So the first thing I would like you to confirm with her doctor is whether or not she has been adequately treated, if not, please ask your doctor to look into this at the earliest.

Next we shall try and introduce a few food items to her diet that will provide her with important nutrition as well as help build her appetite gradually, they are:

1. Make sure she drinks plenty of water (at least 2-3 litres): This habit allows the body to stay hydrated, improve its appetite, and also flush out all the remaining toxins from the body

2. Make sure she has plenty of citrus fruits and bananas: Both these categories are very important and need to be part of her daily diet

3. Soups and/or porridge: These provide hydration as well as nutrition and help build an appetite as they do not stay long in the gastrointestinal tract

4. Crackers and biscuits: Also do not stay long and help build an appetite

5. Speak to her doctor about syrup's that are called appetite enhancers, these are easily available in pharmacies and should help significantly

6. Along with the above instructions, make sure you start her on a multivitamin (daily) which will help replenish lost nutrients and also help her prevent various ailments that she is more susceptible to at her age. Certain nutrients are responsible for the appetite, and if deficient in the body can also cause a lack of appetite

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D