Suggest treatment for severe fatigue and flatulence

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I came down with a virus 4 weeks ago and among other symptons like fatigue, sleeping all day etc. if affected my stomach. for the past month I have not had a normal bowel movement (very small amounts a few times a day), I have a tremendous amount of gas constantly, very little appetite and only have been eating toast with tea and baked potatoes and baked eggs. thank you, XXXXXXX Pickens
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to try and make a change in your diet

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I can understand how a person can loose their appetite from a simple infection itself.

But please do understand that simply a reduction in your intake itself can cause your stomach to react in a way which can in itself cause an increase in the amount of gas produced as you have not been eating sufficiently enough.

In addition to this, I would like to make a few notes on the specific food items you have been consuming:

1. Potatoes are a potential source of increase gas production and abdominal bloating due to their starch content

2. Eggs can cause a person to become gassy especially when they are sensitive or intolerant to fructose, which is component present in eggs

3. If the bread you are eating is wheat bread, then this can also cause you to become gassy if you have developed a gluten intolerance.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Introduce new items to your diet, as you prefer and can tolerate like lean meat, vegetables, skinless fruits, etc.

2. If you cannot tolerate any other food then try avoiding one item each time from your 3 item list (i.e. have eggs and potatoes without the bread, or avoid wheat bread; or have bread with eggs and avoid the potatoes, etc.) and report to me with any changes you observe

3. Take one tablet of ranitidine or omeprazole 15 minutes before each meal

4. Drink plenty of water (at least 2-3 litres a day)

5. Avoid tea and coffee

6. Avoid carbonated drinks

7. Avoid spicy food, fatty food, oily food, fried food

8. Avoid smoking

9. Avoid alcohol

10. Avoid long gaps between meals

11. Have 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones

I do not wish to conclude or suspect any other conditions right now because simply your current diet and lack of appetite can cause your symptoms; so only once we rule that out and make changes there and despite that if your symptoms last, only then can we suspect any other cause.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad