Suggest treatment for severe ear congestion

Question
I have had congestion in my right ear for some time. Have tried nasal sprays and decongestions plus heat but it persists to the point of affecting my equilibrium. Any suggestions? My doc says there is nothing wrong with my ears.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The problem is in thin tubes connecting throat and middle ear

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections manifesting in cough and cold.

There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. When we catch a cold (most often due to viral and/or allergic cause), the respiratory secretions or mucus gets thickened. Mucus block of these tubes leads to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. This is the reason for your ears feeling congested. Steam inhalation should help. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the mucus and thus would help the Eustachian tubes open up and would provide relief from the ear discomfort.

Let me know if I could help further.