How can severe chest congestion in a child be treated?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter is 15 months+ old now. It's been 5-6 weeks she is suffering from chest congestion due to cough and cold.
Sinarest and Citrizine (doctor presciption) are given but still no relief. What else we can do if you can help will be great. The temperature has changed drastically and is cold now.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cold temperatures depress immunity. Keep her warm.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. But if it is going on for 5-6 weeks, the condition needs to be evaluated and you need to take her to a doctor for the same. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help since Cetirizine and Sinarest do not seem to help.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Nebulization with normal saline would serve the same purpose.

Feel free to write back.