• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe ankle pain

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: After falling and twisting my ankle on a skateboard my calve is starting to hurt, why?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Since the structures of the lower leg are connected via connective tissue, and some of the muscles insert at the joint, it's possible that your calf was injured too.

If there is swelling in the calf, then do go in to be seen promptly (ER) to make sure you don't have a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which is a clot that can be dangerous and therefore needs to be diagnosed and treated.

If there isn't noticeable swelling and the pain is mild, continue to ice the area, rest the ankle, and elevate it as much as possible.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh