Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain post a gall bladder surgery

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i had gallgladder surgery over 10 years ago. on occasion, not with any rourine , I get these pains that beginin my my abdomen and then to my back lower and up and down my spinal . My first episode was a6mos to 1 year after my surgery. . tecently I experiencee an episode whic lasted about an hour. For relief I take I beprofin, bentyl and a warm pack to my abdomen. I may not experience another one for another year. I also intermittentl experience a nagging sensation on my rt side of abdome. I noticed these can arrive with constipation. These occur generally occur at night.any suggestions or feedback?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigations are needed as well as an opinion of a General Surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history of pain in abdomen that traverse to the back as explained by your - first episode was 6 months to 1 year after surgery for gall bladder that was done 10 years ago - lasts for an hour - may not experience another for 1 more year - intermittent nagging sensation on right of abdomen - with constipation - - night - suggestions ?

The probable reasons are:
- Some spinal condition that is giving referred pain to the abdomen.
- Colitis or any condition of the ascending colon that is causing the pain on constipation,.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- CT scan of the abdomen
- MRI of the spine
- Treatment of the constipation with laxatives.
- Colonoscopy may be needed.
- Tests of stool, blood and urine to see if normal or supportive to the diagnosis.
- Clinical evaluation by a General Surgeon

I hope this answer helps you to get the proper diagnosis and a a plan for management, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 29 minutes later
Interesting in that about 7 years ago was referred to a cardiologist who also mentioned possibility of an orthopedic problem. Never had any digestive issues until after gallbladder problems (except for sxs of this dx.)

Now very careful about what I eat as when out to eat must order items without unknown ingredients in sauces , gravy and spices. Forgot to mention
Wt: 136 lbs
ht: 5'3'' Thank you for your response. AS a retired RN your medical opinion is also mine .

Thank-you Doctor
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Please get the investigations done, it is better to be sure of getting a diagnosis or ruling out as is equally important.