• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hiatal hernia

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonscopy last week, and one of the doctor'said diagnosis was a hiatal hernia in the cardia. He also mentioned friability and heaped-up margins in the ascending colon. What does this all Mean? I'm going in for a CT scan with IV contrast on my abdomen and pelvis in about 2 hours.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Heaped up and friable margins points to ulcers-could be malignant or benign

Detailed Answer:

Such a finding always raises serious concerns about a chronic ulcer. Some might have become cancerous while others are still benign. Did he take a biopsy for analysis? If not, I will suggest he should consider doing so. The good news is that a CT scan will be very helpful to let us know if for sure there is a tumor or not.

Keep me posted and share the report of the CT scan with me for more insights and guidance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah