Suggest treatment for septicemia
Yes they are proceeding properly
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to help you.
Her White blood cell total count is very high and this has prompted a diagnosis of Septicemia.
I think her blood and urine has already been sent for bacterial culture and you can expect a preliminary report within 48-72 hours.
As a precaution she is treated on IV antibiotics and being watched out to avoid any risk of Septic shock.
Because elderly - pulmonary, cardiac and renal reserve are less, she will require more time to recover. If her blood pressure starts falling anything below 90/60, it could become serious. BP of 110/67 is good.
Potassium levels are low, and it will slowly improve as her condition improves.
The Doctors are going the right way in trying to give her a good possible antibiotic cover. Her vitals are stable and she does not require more support.
Once a report of the bacteria causing infection comes, she will be started on possible specific antibiotics. Her TC count is good.
All other reports are normal. Maybe urinary tract infection has spread to blood - until the blood report comes, we have to wait.
Not to worry at present. Take care of her and keep her in good spirits.
If you have any queries, do ask again. and if available, try to attach reports.
Dr. Prakash HM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sudden weight loss with hypothyroidism, dementia and...
- What does "high CPK-278 and Squamous Epithelial Cells" indicate?
- What causes heart burn in a diabetic patient?
- What causes diabetes mellitus?
- Suggest diet to gain weight
- What causes weight loss and appetite loss?
- What causes headaches and blurred vision when suffering from low blood...
- What causes raised TSH levels and abnormal eosinophil count?
- What are stages in old age when elderly person cannot take care of self?
- What symptoms should be noted when suffering from lung and heart disease?