What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2016
Dec 2016

Cardiologist
Question
Hi Doc,

As you know the entire history of my Dad he suffered from acture MI and all. today he is felling pain in the back on the left side upper side and very high numbness in the left hand and left leg from the knees to the leg ( heaviness)
What could be the reason, is this related to heart should we see the doctor or any nerve , how do we diagnose that

Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably its anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I think all these are related to elevated levels of anxiety and this is something very common post M.I.
I would suggest you to ask your doctor to add moderate doses of anti anxiety like lorazepam 2mg once daily to his schedule.
This would definitely help him a lot.
It has nothing to do with his heart.

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment? 43 minutes later
Hello Doc

I read somewhere now that if lvef is lower than 30 patients have to go for ICD is it true?

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Yes but only if patient has a Left bundle branch block on ecg or is having uncontrolled arrythmias.
Thanks

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment? 1 hour later
Hello Doc,

Does the Echo and ECG attached shows left bundle branch block, I can see in one of the ECG it is written as complete Right bundle branch block. Can you please see and advice

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
thanks for folow up.
Right bundle branch block is normal in 90% of patients and require no treatment at all.
My dear heart is divided into right and left part in lay mans version Right part contributes 20%(Just recieve blood from body) while left is about 80%(Pumps blood to full body).

You take 100 normal person get an ecg done 70% could have Right bundle block.It has no significance.
Hope i cleared your query feel free to follow up.

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment? 30 minutes later
Thank you doctor. This clarifies.

Could you please advice what can we do for hend numbness as it has increased a lot

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer.

Detailed Answer:
Initially get a vitamin B12 level checked up.
Secondly gove him Lorazepam 2 mg.
It would become normal.
If it does not then we would have to go for a neurological examination XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment? 23 hours later
Hello doc

Can you help me with a quick query. My dad is facing high acidity since morning even after taking acidity medicines. His current cardiac medications are as below

Ecosprin
Atorva
Ivabrad
Dytor plus
Prax
Nexpro for acidity
Ondem md
Supradyn
Zolfresh

My question is can he take panum L tablet for acidity instead of nexpro i want to check if this tablet will not interfere with his heart medications

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Panum L is better and would have better effects.
You can also give him two table spoon of mucaine gel.

Lastly i have a small video explaining every thing you are worried about.So share your email address it would definitely help you to clear many of your doubts.

Regards.
Dr Rishu Saxena

Follow-up: What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment? 3 hours later
thanks Doc , it is YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
I would post it to you soon.
Regards and hope your father get well soon.