• question-icon

Suggest treatment for scabies

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What are the causes of scabies and what does it look like? How long does it last? How does a person get rid of it?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
caused by a mite

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Scabies is an infection of the skin caused by the mite called sarcoptes scabiei var hominis.

This mite causes the scabies infection.

Scabies causes: (1) severe itching that is usually worse at night,

(2)adults tend to have the rash on the palm aspect of the wrist, in between the web spaces of the fingers, the axilla (armpit), elbows, top part of the feet, waist, buttocks , genitalia

(3)causes small red 'bumps' , small vesicles (water filled 'bumps') and also burrows (appears like a line or a slightly twisted thread in the skin caused by movement of the mite)

Scabies can be effectively treated with one of the medications below

TREATMENT
Requires use of medication to kill the mite eg permethrin, lindane, ivermectin. Applied to the skin

Itching is treated with an oral antihistamine and can persist up to month after treatment even if successful in getting rid of the scabies mite

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James