• question-icon

Suggest treatment for scabies

Posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been treating myself for three days with tea tree oil baths. First to days seem to help put now the itching seem worst. Does that mean it is helping an killing the scabies? And does lice shampoo work.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tea tree oil may not be effective

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, it is likely not effective for the scabies.

The mainstay of scabies treatment is the application of topical scabicidal medications with a repeat application in 7 days.In some persons, a third application is needed after an additional 7 days.

The agent of choice is permethrin 5% lotion (elimite or acticin) though other agents are available.
The other options are lindane, eurax or ivermectin.

The itching is treated with antihistamines such as benadryl, atarax.

Bedding, clothing, towels in the house should be washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer.

In terms of lice treatment, lice can affect different aspects of the body.
(1)head lice- there are lotions and shampoos that are effective, they need to be reused in 7 to 10 days to treat any lice hatched after initial treatment. IN addition careful combing and removal of all nits from the hair, towels, hair accessories is important.
Permethrin is also the treatment of choice hair but the over the counter variation at 1% may not be effective for some persons with head or pubic lice.

The prescription 5% may be needed in some persons.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Is there any otc medication i can get to kill the? Because cannt get in to my doctor for two weeks. Any information on anything i can get an try?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
permethrin

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can try the over the counter permethrin to see if it would help you. If you check at your local pharmacy they may be selling it under different brand names but you would ask for permethrin.

Permethrin is used for lice or scabies . In scabies the effective dose is 5% which may not be available over the counter but you can try.

Unfortunately, both of these parasites would need an anti parasitic agent such as permethrin or one of the other medications needed.

If the over the counter treatment is not effective and it is difficult to see your doctor earlier than 2 weeks you may need to either try another doctor or the ER where they can also prescribe treatment for you.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James