How to treat scabies?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a pet pot belly pig and it seems I have picked up MItes and have Scabies. How do I cure this. Using tea tree oil heavy mix with Coconut Oil to treat the itching. How do I kill these guys. I know I need to vacuum, do all my laundry and clean the house. What can I take to get rid of the mites that are burred under my skin?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of scabies

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic.

For scabies, you need to apply permethrin 5 percent lotion on the entire body neck downwards at night, keep it for 7-8 hours and then take a bath in the morning.
It needs to be repeated after 1 week.

Also, take tablet Ivermectin 200 microgram per kilogram body weight single dose and repeat after 1 week.

These medicines will cure scabies. These are prescription based drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

Besides this for itching take antihistaminic like tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.

Also, it'd be better to consult a veterinary doctor and get your pet treated.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee