Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for salivary gland stones

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
hello I suffer from salivary gland stones and currently having a flare ive tried everything I sucked lemons and tried hot and cold compress but nothinv helps I cant stop crying due to pain its the gland under the tongue what can I do I hurt so bad please help
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer: consult doctor take antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hello, If there is pain then nothing other than antibiotic will help .I prescribe Clindamycin which is the only antibiotic directly secreted in saliva. You should consult your doctor for it. You should consult an ENT specialist and get an x ray done to locate the site and size of stone. Then it can be planned that a surgical removal is required or not. You might also require anti inflammatory medication because of acute infection . You should stop sucking lemons as this will cause more of salivary secretions through obstructed duct and may cause more pain. Drink fluids but do not over hydrate. In doubt do reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for salivary gland stones 15 hours later
hello thanm u for gettng back to me. I am under the care of ENT surgeon but cant get I to see him much more before 6th February he is aware of the flares I am getting from my gland but I haven't seen the surgeon for a long time its always his registra or house dr who told me the scan they did last August was clear of any stones so where have these come from ? would they remove the gland as this was a option due to the condition of the gland as two stones were impacted on the side im in so much pain I did speak to a gp today whom said I need to be on antibiotics but as she isn't my named gp I have to go see him tomorrow
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer: take antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hello, Stones get formed from the saliva when there is less water content in it. Whether or not the gland needs removal depends on the position of stone - if stone is near or in the gland then gland needs to be removed; but if it is in the duct then the only stone can be removed sparring the gland. Your doctor can be able to find the location of stone through examination and sonography. Until then you will require antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines. Keep mouth clean by regular gargle with water and if possible with diluted betadine. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for salivary gland stones 45 hours later
Thank you my gp prescribed be erythromycin suspension and naproxen and Diflam mouth wash. but pain is worse I also have fibromyalgia could the gland cause a flare up ? 4 weeks a go I was headbutted by a two year old and every now and agajn it keeps bleeding why would this happen it didnt bleed the day or few days after but has been for 3 weeks pain js very intense sometimes before it bleeds but not always I had a rhinoseptoplasty 2yrs ago could she of done something ?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 26 hours later
Brief Answer: sorry for being late Detailed Answer: Hello, Clindamycin would have been a better choice; but that's ok. Fibromyalgia if in active phase could cause problem , but I would first like to treat you with good antibiotics and review the results before consider fibromyalgia. I recommend that you also do hot fomentation of the salivary glands. Nasal bleed should be examined ,you must consult an ENT specialist for that, there could be swelling , small bleeding point . Hope this helps. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor