Suggest treatment for running nose in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor my 4yrs old son is just having white pus since 3months which do not trouble him as such but just running nose now but the white pus comes and goes did the throat swab reports says - Pus cells occasional and gram positive cocci occasional no beta haemolytic streptococcus isolated. He has skin issues very often getting that treated for enzymes also did many other test all looks normal like IGE, cbc, crp, immunity test.. thanks you in advance
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Predominantly due to allergic cause. Steam inhalation and gurgling shd help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that white or yellow secretions from nose do not indicate pus. A few pus cells can be found in throat swab and it is not necessarily a cause for concern (the body has the capacity to deal with such things). I have gone through the reports and they indicate a predominantly allergic cause (IgE raised) and that this has been going on for sometime (IgG raised). All you have to do is to give steam inhalation whenever he catches cold and to make him gurgle with lukewarm water.

Give him colourful fruits and vegetables daily. This will help in boosting his immunity and will reduce such episodes. Also make him avoid cold temperatures.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 28 hours later
Hello doctor the pus I m talking about is in throat so we where suggested to do throat swab test, have already shared the reports, but didnt understood. My concern is white patch comes and goes sometimes on own since 3months, it does not trouble him as such but having cold and sneezing at present but better today also has i told you he has skin problems like enzymes which subsides on own sometime and apply tbact ointment or antibiotics(whenever worst). So just wondering what is this white thing in throat. he is an active kid going school classes regular, though he often get sick i m sure thats happening with XXXXXXX kids bcz of weather change or else.. His diet includes more of fruit then vegetables and mostly rotis & parathas (less butter) but includes paneer or stuffed, also he eat some of his favrt veges he is fusse in eating chicken but yes soup he enjoys i try serving him everythg but no cold things even he dont drink or eat by himself getg scared of cough n cold.. suggestions on same. Have reduced his milk, butter ghee, peanuts and mostly diary products for skin issues (is it rite) thank you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gurgling with lukewarm water is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You need not worry. The swab test does not indicate anything worth worrying. All that is needed is gurgling with lukewarm water. Nothing else needs to be done.

Most often those patches are due to certain viral infections. Cold depresses immunity and hence season changes precipitate those.

Continue to give him colourful fruits and vegetables. They would help in boosting his immunity. No issues with other foods unless served chilled.

You can feel free to give curd or yogurt.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.