Suggest treatment for ring shaped lesions in the groin

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Please forward my query to Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX as he has answered my queries before

Hello ISr .. hope you are doing well

Herewith i am attaching an image. I have some serious rashes around my thighs and i have tried fourderm, phanderm, lobate, clobet GM, mustard / cocunut oil but it is not working out.

On precaution basis i am keeping the area clean and dry before applying and keeping the area open whenever possible but i am still struggling and it doesnt seem to improve.
Can you please prescribe and suggest.

Many Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinea crurus; Oral and topical antifungal

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have also viewed the Image.

I can see ring shaped lesions in groin. This is fungal infection of the groin folds i.e tinea cruris.
Though the creams (panderm and lobate etc) that you have been may have provided temporary relief since they are steroid based but they are unlikely to provide any permanent cure of fungal infection. On the contrary they may encourage spread of fungus and in addition may cause side effects like skin thinning and stretch marks which are irreversible. I suggest you to imediately stop using these creams.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest you to take an Oral antifungal e.g Zimig 250mg tablet (Terbinafine 250 mg), once daily for 4 weeks. In addition, you may use Zimig cream (Terbinafine 1% cream), twice daily for 4 weeks.
You may take a tablet of cetrizine 10mg once daily in evening for symptomatic relief from itching.
General precautions would include keeping the area clean and dry, wearing cotton undergarments and bathing twice daily, specially in hot weather.
You may use an antifungal body wash for bath e.g Dersil AF body wash Or KZ soap.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Hello Sir

Thanks for your prompt reply. May i please know if i can just use the cream alone for application on the affected area because i tend to avoid intaking tablets but if its necessary then i shall take it for 4 weeks and in that case please suggest the best time to have it & is it before or after food?

Many Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral as well as topical antifungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You MUST take tablets as well as use cream.
You may take Zimig 250mg tablet once daily at night after dinner for 4 weeks. Also take a tablet of Cetrizine 10mg once daily at night, after dinner for 10 days.
Zimig cream is to be applied twice daily for 4 weeks.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Thanks . I shall follow that.

JUst one last query .. i hope it is nothing serious ??

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinea cruris

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. Not serious. Tinea cruris is quite common.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thank you Sir for your swift response.

May I request you to please prescribe an equally good tablets that might have reasonable price as I found zimig tablets quite costly while the cream is quite reasonable

Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Terbinafine tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Tyza tablet(Abott pharma) is relatively cheaper