Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Lupus
Question: yes, thank you. My wife has a moderate to severe case of rheumatoid arthritis in there hand, and was given meloxicam to help her which I understand is an NSAID. What are other alternative medications with th same for better efficacy that she could be using?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
acetaminophen and opioids are the main other classes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different classes of pain killers and as you stated, mobic/meloxicam , is an NSAID.

There are also different types of NSAIDs, those that may be more likely to irritate or inflame the stomach lining and those that do not have this effect.

The other type of pain killers include--(1) acetaminophen/paracetamol

(2)opioids such as oxycodone, morphine, tramadol , codeine- these are safe if used appropriately

(3)nerve related pain (neuropathic pain) which can occur if there is any damage to the nerves, can respond to other medications eg lyrica, amitriptyline, gabapentin-- these meds, though they can be used for other causes, have also been found to be useful for neuropathic pain

Though opioids are very effective for pain and can also be used safely and appropriately, NSAIDs such as mobic are commonly first line pain killers

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions