Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15313 Questions
yes, thank you. My wife has a moderate to severe case of rheumatoid arthritis in there hand, and was given meloxicam to help her which I understand is an NSAID. What are other alternative medications with th same for better efficacy that she could be using?
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
acetaminophen and opioids are the main other classes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different classes of pain killers and as you stated, mobic/meloxicam , is an NSAID.

There are also different types of NSAIDs, those that may be more likely to irritate or inflame the stomach lining and those that do not have this effect.

The other type of pain killers include--(1) acetaminophen/paracetamol

(2)opioids such as oxycodone, morphine, tramadol , codeine- these are safe if used appropriately

(3)nerve related pain (neuropathic pain) which can occur if there is any damage to the nerves, can respond to other medications eg lyrica, amitriptyline, gabapentin-- these meds, though they can be used for other causes, have also been found to be useful for neuropathic pain

Though opioids are very effective for pain and can also be used safely and appropriately, NSAIDs such as mobic are commonly first line pain killers

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor