Suggest treatment for restless leg syndrome

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have extreme restless leg syndrome and am having terrible nights of no sleep. I am on an anti-anxiety med. that makes this worse. Any suggestions as of what I might take to help with this, I am so exhausted from lack of sleep.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dopaminergic drugs

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Clonazepam is used in restless legs syndrome and it is a valid alternative to have been tried. However since you are experiencing no improvement then other alternatives should be explored.

Among the several classes of drugs used in restless legs syndrome the first choice usually are dopaminergic agents, which includes drugs like pramipexole or ropinirole. They do not have any interaction with wellbutrin or prozac so can be safely tried.

Another alternative which can be considered are anticonvulsants pregabalin or gabapentin.
In case blood tests have shown low iron levels, a common cause of this syndrome, treatment with iron salts is necessary as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.