Suggest treatment for refractive errors in children

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hi my daughter is 7 years old and detected with a number as follows. in long term what are the chances of improvement
S: +.25, Cyl: -1.00, axis: 180
S: +.25, cyl: -.75, axis 180
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She is having refractive error.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history.
Your daughter is having refractive error. Refractive errors tend to change with the growing age as the eye ball also shows growth.
As of now she needs to wear spectacles regularly and get her eyes tested once in a year to look for any variation.

Since the power is in lower range this may decrease as the age increases.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
1. what causes this so that I ca take precautions
2. any change in diet or food that you suggest
3. any medications that you would prescribe
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet rich in vitamin A will be helpful for good eye health.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

Refractive error is a common problem in children and it occurs because of many factors, the common factors are differential growth of the eyeball, excessive near work, studying in dim light, excessive viewing of television.....

A diet rich in vitamin A like green leafy vegetables will be good for better eye health.

Medications will not help in this condition, but precautions like avoiding excessive viewing of television, studying in good light, regular use of spectalces will be helpful to prevent progression of the refractive error.

Thank you