• question-icon

Suggest treatment for redness and pain around scrotum and groin area

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My grand son has a very red sack, especially around creases and where his legs rub it. Legs are a little red also in that area. The skin around his pee pee is red also. The head of his pee pee looks purple or blue( is that normal ?). Doctor gave my daughter some cream to put on it , but doesn't seem to help. She has been putting athletes foot cream on scrotum was working but not now. He might b getting his two year molars . He won't even touch his own pee pee. I don't think that is normal. Usually they are touchy freely down there at 22 months
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The skin has become excoriated. Needs to dry and grow back.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me assure you that I have the capacity to answer your query and hence have taken it up. The redness is due to excoriation of the skin where the top layer of the skin has been eroded away. This has rendered the area tender and sensitive and that is the reason your grandson does not wish to touch the penis or the surrounding area. I would not insist you to use creams there. Rather, you need to use a combination of antibiotic powders like Neomycin or Neosporin as well as some antifungal powder like Candid (clotrimazole). You have to leave the area open to dry. You can also apply some cod liver oil topically and that can hasten the healing process.

The bluish purple discoloration of the tip of the penis is not normal but has occurred due to the same reason as discussed.

Let me know if I could help furhter.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha