Suggest treatment for red rashes on the testicles and penile head

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a type two diaibetic , I have a redness rash on my esticles and the head of my penis, dr has been treating with fungal med pills and two heavy duty creams, two weeks and no change. Could this be a yeast infection. What treatment should be done now.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Recommendations for tx fungi/yeast skin infections

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given that you have diabetes, this can make you more likely to have a fungal or yeast (candida) overgrowth.

The clotrimazole is a good choice because it treats both fungi and yeast. The oral terbinafine is more effective on fungal infections, less on yeast. Diflucan (fluconazole) is an oral medication that may help, but I will leave this to your doctor - he/she may have had a reason for choosing terbinafine.

Unless the rash is still very angry and itchy, I would consider discontinuing the betamethasone. This is a steroid and as such will decrease redness, inflammation, and itching, so it is appropriate when a rash is very uncomfortable and angry, but it has a down side of decreasing the local immune system. Therefore, there is the risk in some cases that it can allow a fungal or yeast overgrowth to keep going.

Keeping your blood sugars under tight control right now can help your body to fight this infection. Decrease simple carbohydrates (things with white flour), eliminate anything with sugar, and no alcohol.

After bathing, dry the affected area gently with a towel, and then use a hair blow dryer on the lowest setting to dry the skin further. (Careful not to burn your skin though.) Wear loose fitting cotton boxers.

Fungi and yeast love environments that are dark, warm, and moist. For this reason, keep the area as dry as possible. If you do some activity that makes you sweat a lot, dry off and change your shorts.

The clotrimazole cream can be prescribed in a stronger preparation than the 1% you are using. So this is another thing to consider.

If there has been no change at all, it's time to go back to your doctor. But do make sure to watch your diet closely and keep the area cool and dry as much as possible as these things will help.