Suggest treatment for recurring central serous retinopathy

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hello doctor,

this is XXXXXXX 32 from XXXXXXX

i have Central serous retinopathy - CSR eye issue.

i was first diagnosed when i was 26, but luckily it went away on its own in 4 weeks. i was completely cured and got my full vision back.

it reoccured again when i was 29 and this time it didnt even after 5 months. i kept continous monitoring with my doctor and finally the doctor went for laser surgery.
2 months after, i got 85 - 90% of my vision back.

i am now 32, i got this back again. i can see the symptoms and i have an appointment with my doctor in a weeks time.

all the 3 episodes are in my LEFT eye only.

i know stress & steroids is the main cause, i dont take any steroids, i dont drink or smoke. my work is quiet stressful and i am changing my mindset. i have improved myself by 60% and i will keep improving and be more relaxed

however, i have the following questions please -

1) will this stop at one stage, OR the reoccurance will keep happening periodically?
2) will these reocccurances will damage by vision totally at one point of time? i mean will i go blind?
3) is there any food, i should avoid? or anything should i take more?
4) any chances for right eye to get affected?
5) i work my computer approx 10 hours a day. is this ok?
6) finally, is there any piece of advise you would like to give?

look fwd to hear from you
thank you
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reducing your mental stress is required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history and I understand your concerns. It appears from the question you have thoroughly researched the causes and treatment of central serous retinopathy.

Central serous retinopathy is a self limiting condition but it is known to recur.
It commonly affects the young adults and no need to be worried it will stop. The maximum recurrences I have seen is 4 times. Hence I advice you not to worry much about it.

The recurrences will damage the retina to some extent, but the disease will not cause blindness, hence no need to be worried.
The recurrence rate can be reduced by reducing the risk factors like stress, avoiding intake of steroid drugs, reducing the intake of caffeine containing drinks....

The foods that needs to be avoided are basically caffeine containing drinks like coffee, tea.

Central serous retinopathy is mainly a condition which affects one eye and the chances of affecting other eye is very less and the incidence is less than 10%, hence no need to be worried about it.

Working on computer for 10 hours will not affect this condition directly but you need to avoid stress on the eyes and general stress on yourself as well.

Regular exercises, mind relaxation by yoga, consumption of balanced diet with vitamins and antioxidant supplements will definitely help you.

To conclude you are taking enough precautions and I feel along with this you need to somehow decrease the mental stress and you will be fine.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 23 hours later
thank you so much doctor

u have given me some confidence

i already stopped drinking coffee.. i will stop tea also.. and drink only green tea

i will do all my best not to get stressed.
i play with my kid in the evening..
i watch comedy videos..

i use computer 10hrs a day.. but not at a stretch... every 3 hrs.. i take 1 hour gap..
also, every 45 mins.. i take 1-2 mins break....is this ok?

i have 4 qns please
1) how many hours of computer usage per day is normal?

2) what are the basic tips that a human being should follow every day to keep his eye less stressfull, i mean like washing eyes? or some excercises? or blinking frequently? or closing eyes for 3-4 secs, every 30 mins etc....etc....some eye preacaution tips please?

3) finally... this is the 3rd episode of CSR am getting.... 1st one went away on its own in 4 weeks....2nd one...laser was done after 5-6 months.....so this time...can i wait 2 months or should i go for the laser?

4) using laser second time or third time has any additional damage?

look fwd to your reply

thank you once again for your polite and motivating answer :)

regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait for 2 months before laser.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

With frequent breaks using computer upto 10 hours is fine.

Use of antiglare glasses while using computer, cooling glasses while outside in sun light, use of balanced diet rich in vitamin A and antioxidants, washing the eyes with normal water 1-2 times a day, watching TV from distance of more than 6 metres.... are some of the good practices to avoid stress on eyes.

For laser you can wait upto 2 months.

Using laser will not cause additional damage as only leaking point is lasered.

Hope I have answered your questions and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 11 hours later
hello doctor

everything is ok, you have been very clear in your explanation.

my only last question
can i continue going to gym? any restrictions in work out?

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go to gym.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

You can go to gym only thing is avoid lifting heavy weight.

You can do routine workout, jagging, running....

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
thank you doctor..

just to clarify,,

its only heavy weight lifting i need to avoid. right?

can i do normal weight lifting?

or do you think its good to avoid weights completely?

iam just asking so that i dont make mistake!

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is better to avoid lifting weights completely

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for the follow up question.

It is better to avoid lifting weights completely. But routine running, jagging.... you can continue.

Thank you