Suggest treatment for recurrent malaria

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: My husband keeps getting malaria and the last test showed it's in his liver. What's the best medicine for him to take to get rid of it?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello Michelle! Ι have been through your question.

First, to define better the treatment I need to know which type of malaria was detected, i.e. Plasmodium (vivax, ovale or malaria excluding falciparum in this case) ?

And what about his recent symptoms ? If he had taken any antimalarial drugs before or not, and the place where suppose to get the malaria....

Because you should know that treatment of malaria depends on many factors including disease severity, the species of malaria parasite causing the infection and the part of the world in which the infection was acquired.

Some epidemiological data helps to determine the probability that the organism is resistant to certain antimalarial drugs. Some malaria parasites, however, remain in the liver and are not released until later, resulting in recurrence.

Awaiting the details....

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 38 minutes later
the malaria is schizont form of plasmodium falciparium. He's been in Nigeria for the past 5 months caring for his sick mom. He's been having fever and very tired with loss of appetite and pain in his side. He was also complaining of having slight trouble breathing from time to time.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please could you clarify me he has now these symptoms or he had before?

Detailed Answer:
Regarding these symptoms and this form of plasmodium, I'd suggest hospitalization at the earliest for better monitoring of the disease and to manage promptly for any complications..

You should be aware that malaria caused by plasmodium falciparum (also called malignant or falciparum malaria) is the most dangerous form of malaria, with the highest rates of complications and mortality because of it's features that other Plasmodiums don't have .

Within the 48-hour asexual blood stage cycle, the mature forms change the surface properties of infected red blood cells, causing them to stick to blood vessels (cytoadherence) and this could lead to obstruction of the microcirculation and results in dysfunction of multiple organs, typically the brain in form of cerebral malaria.

The dormant liver forms known as hypnozoites (that you mentioned above) is absent in P. falciparum. Instead, the gametocytes of P. falciparum can survive in the blood for months.

Usually the recomandations for an uncomplicated falciparum malaria are artemether + lumefantrine or artesunate + amodiaquine or artesunate + mefloquine and if there's any complication, it's always better using them intravenously and treatment must be initiated immediately under expert medical supervision.

I hope my answer help you.

Best wishes to your husband and quick recovery.