• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent ganglion

Posted on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a bubble exactly on my right wrist (upper side). I had first observed that first week of Sep'14. It grew very fast from a tiny bubble to a big one (as i could feel by hand, diameter was about 4cm) within 7 to 10 days. I visited one doctor, he spent only 2 mins on that. He said it is 'ganglion' and a nothing to be worried about. If it grows beyond tolerance (not sure how to measure that, may be in terms of visibility or pain), i should visit him again. So advice was 'wait and watch'. He gave consent when i asked should I apply any kind of massage if I feel pain. I had some pain and I tried that massage next morning and while doing that I found the bubble got busted inside without any pain and disappeared in seconds as if nothing was there. I sighed. But this week (first week of Oct) I am feeling the same bubble in small size on the same spot, and its growing every minute like before. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ganglions are recurrent.

Detailed Answer:
You have a ganglion on your wrist. The ganglions have a tendency of recurrence and if only fluid is aspirated then there is every chance of repeat collection of the fluid unless some drug or sclerosing agent or steroids are injected inside the swelling after the fluid is removed. In Sept since the ganglion burst inside all the fluid was drained out but now there is a repeat collection of the fluid.

The permanent treatment of the ganglion is surgical excision only which you can discuss with your orthopaedician after getting it examined. If it is painful then it indicates infection and antibiotics might be needed for the treatment.
You cannot stop the swelling from growing without a surgical treatment or a sclerosing agent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon