Suggest treatment for psoriasis while on fluocinolone acetonide oil

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm using Fluocinolone Acetonide Oil for Psoriasis. Is this the best treatment, anything stronger? What are the side affects... hair loss???

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hair loss can be a side effect of this oil

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Fluocinolone acetonide cream is a topical steroid used to treat the inflammation and itching caused by a number of skin conditions including psoriasis. The effects may vary from individual to individual and whether it is the best for you depends on the degree on control that has been achieved in your case.

Common side effects include:

temporary hair loss, [as you rightly ask]
application site reactions (stinging, burning, irritation, dryness, itching, or redness),
acne,
excessive hair growth,
"hair bumps" (folliculitis),
skin thinning,
stretch marks,
blisters or crusting of treated skin,
changes in color of treated skin,
skin rash or irritation around your mouth,
fever,
cough,
sore throat,
runny or stuffy nose, or
red spots or the appearance of tiny veins (especially around your nose, cheeks, or chin).

More serious side effects include:

blurred vision,
headache,
easy bruising,
mood changes,
weight gain,
puffiness in your face,
muscle weakness, or
feeling tired.

Let me know if I could help further.