Suggest treatment for post nasal drip

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 13 Sep 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What is the best way to control allergies without causing LPR or reflux?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query.
Allergic reaction is in response to an allergen only. It can be dust or some food or cosmetic etc. Please tell me what allergic reaction you are having like a skin allergy or eyes or nasal allergy etc.
The best way to avoid an allergic reaction is to avoid the causative agent which should be recognized.
LPR is usually not caused by anti allergic medication unless steroids are used.
Tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Follow up with the required information so that i can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 days later
I have allergies to pollen and dustmites, and most trees and grasses. I haven't been tested for food allergies, but I wonder how this would be done. In Canada they don't seem to have food testing unless you ask specifically.
I think I have a combination of allergies, hormone issues AND LPR.

My main symptoms are heavy periods, post nasal drip and soreness in my throat. I have tried ppi's and they don't work. Now I use some gaviscon and ranitidine.
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip and Reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Please send me the pictures of your throat and tell me what allergy symptoms do you have like do you have any skin rash or sneezing or watering from eyes.
Acidity and Post nasal drip can be managed medically.
Get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me.
Avoid spicy foods and aerated drinks.
Drink plenty of water.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Take capsule pantoprazole 40 mg instead of ranitidine. It is more effective.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana