• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent vertigo

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi: I have vertigo or dizziness and went to a ENT, got a MRI and went to a therapist who instructed me on exercises to do... did them for 2 weeks and the therapist told me that he could not do anything more for me...I have a appointment w/ another therapist next week.....my question is there anything else I can do to improve my status? I have been living with this for over 2 years......thanks
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is important to understand the different causes of vertigo.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The approach to managing vertigo depends on the cause of it.
Is it Meniere disease? Is it just labyrinthitis? Is it benign paroxysmal vertigo? Is it a brain tumor?

By finding the cause of it, we can know how to treat the symptoms.

I think the main cause to rule out is a brain tumor. So, if the MRI (Brain) was already normal, then we can rule them out.

The others are treated by doing those exercises regularly and also by taking medicines to relieve vertigo.

If you please let me know which of the diagnoses above your doctor has mentioned, I can advise for that particular diagnoses, is there anything else, other than just therapy.

If it is benign paroxysmal vertigo then you need just the therapy, but if you have Meniere's then you may benefit from some medicines that I would recommend.

Looking forward to your follow up question.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako