Suggest treatment for persistent loose stool for a month

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Good mroning sir, I am XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX .. My father is going through loose motions from past one month.. Sometime its 7 to 8 times a day and sometimes 2to 3... Last year also and few days he was hospitalized because of acute dehydration because loose motion and now he is home... Please recommend... He is a patient of asthma from 40 yrs, and gone through operation for instestine in which small part of intestine got damaged nd it was removed.. Sorry I dont know the exact name for it... Most of the time he suffers from constipation but from last one month he is suffereng from loose motion.. What diet do you recommend seeing his condition and his he is now 73... Kindly suggest...
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic diarrhea

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

It seems your father is having chronic diarrhea (duration =/>4 weeks ) following ileal resection.Ileal resection of ( say <100 cm of terminal ileum) may result in a secretory-type diarrhea because of inadequate surface for reabsorption of secreted fluids and electrolytes .
Loperamide is often helpful in mild or moderate watery diarrhea.For all patients with chronic diarrhea, fluid and electrolyte repletion (e.g Oral rehydration solutions) is an important component of management .Regular intake of probiotics containing Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus or Yoghurt/simple curd in diet are useful and are considered to be generally safe. A course of rifaximin will reduce any element of bacterial diarrhea in such cases. However these are prescription drugs

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad