Suggest treatment for persistent lightheadedness in a diabetic person

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 66. I am a Type 2 diabetic and about sixty pounds overweight. I suffer from early stage COPD. I exercise regularly. I take Ramapril, a statin, plaquenil for sarcoidosis, insulins, and inhaled steroids. I play tennis, go to the gym regularly twice a week and I continue to work. I have recently had a change in my condition. I almost passed out, I have to rest for hours after exercise and I spontaneously fall asleep while working. My blood pressure dropped from 138/80 to, most recently 138/56. When I stand I get light headed, sometimes to the point of almost passing out. I can no longer exercise for what was my normal period of time. This has all occurred in last week. I discontinued blood pressure medication two days ago but light headedness continues.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to orthostatic hypotension.

I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a Head Up Tilt test
- complete blood count for anemia
- a chest X ray study
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

Meanwhile, I recommend avoiding straining physical activity and take plenty of fluids to stay well hydrated.

I agree with your decision on stopping blood pressure medication. I would also recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure in the next days.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri