Suggest treatment for persistent headache

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have an ongoing headache or head pain on the left side if my head near the top and toward the back of my head. When I bite down had on something it exacerbates the pain. The pain can be both dull and sharp. I do have a history of migraines. Is this a form of migraine?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not necessarily a migraine.

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon.

What you're describing would be considered a migraine headache you could describe at least 2 of the following 4 features of your headache that should also have a duration of 4-72 hrs:

1. Over 1/2 of the head
2. Pulsating/throbbing headache
3. Worsened by routine physical activity
4. Moderate to Severe intensity of pain

Also, one of the following criteria need to be met:

1. Nausea or vomiting
2. Sensitivity to light and sound of the headache itself

I'm not sure that biting down causing more headache is what is referred to as routine activity but if you could say that the headache is worsened by activities such as normal walking or general moving about, carrying groceries, doing housework, etc. then, that would fit the criteria.

If you've got a history of migraine headaches then, it is possible that you may be entering a 2nd phase of headaches even though your first phase may have ended long ago (with menopause), etc. That is because migraine patients approaching the age of 70 can and often do have a 2nd phase of severe headaches that can be very similar to the 1st phase they had when they were younger.

On the other hand it is not uncommon to find migraine patients with 2 different types of headaches that are mixed which are usually migraines plus TENSION TYPE headaches. If this headache you are describing does not have nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound, etc. then, it may be just a very severe tension type headache though it is a bit unusual for such a headache to be only on the left side of the head.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 19 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.