Suggest treatment for persistent cough with congestion in nose and chest

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,
A few days ago, I had a persistent cough coupled with congestion and completely stuffed up. The cough and stuffed up nose and chest went away, but the back pains remains. The upper and midback for the past week has continued to ache. Based upon symptoms, what could this be ?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
From Persistent Coughing, it is muscular spasm and exhaustion!!!

Detailed Answer:
Warm Welcomes. I appreciate your trust in HCM and assure you are on best portal on the globe for expert online medical services.
I have thoroughly reviewed health query you raised, and well realize all of those concerns. Being your physician, I will take care all of them today and will extend my expertise to solve the problems.

You had got respiratory tract infection and due to that you also had severe and persistent cough. Cough involves the respiratory and accessory muscles (ribs muscles, diaphragm, abdominal muscles etc).

You need to apply VOLTAREN GEL on the affected area, massage it gently and apply heat pad on it for better outcome.
Take rest for a couple of days and restrict movements as much as you easily can.
Take steam inhalation for soothing and easy respiration.
Apply ThermaCare HeatWraps on the affected and painful areas. It is a magical soothing product the quenches the pains and gives a fast recovery.
Take one multivitamin daily after breakfast.
Take proper healthy diet and plenty of clean drinking water.
Take Oral ACETAMINOPHEN after meals as per need for pain and discomfort.

If nothing seems to be helping after observing the treatment options you got, consult a Physician in person for thorough evaluation and if needed they may go for an MRI test. MRI will show if there is any defect in the backbone/spine.

Hope I addressed all the concerns you have. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be more than happy to clear any doubts. Please give your 'rating' (if agreed, Five Stars) to help me assist patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to click on 'Close The Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up is necessary regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is a need to change treatment options. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Always write down my name in start of your questions at this forum & I will be with you in no time).

Regards!
DR. HANIF
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Muhammad Hanif