Suggest treatment for persistent cold and cough

Question
HI I have been dealing with the cold/flu for about 3 weeks. I got the flu shot and saw my doctor once and then had to go to urgent care in neighborhood for more medication since my dr was booked. My symptoms now are a cough the once it starts is very hard to stop. I got cough medicine from the Urgent care Dr but it is almost done and was wondering if there is anything else that would help with this coughing.

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dextromethorphan and Cetirizine

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns,

However, you can take Dextromethorphan and Cetirizine 10mg once daily before going to bed to ease a cough but you will need a chest X-ray to exclude bronchitis as a cause of prolonged cough you are experiencing...

If the cough persists after taking these medications then you might need to see a doctor for a prescription for a mast cell stabilizer as Montelukast (eg. Singulair) to relieve your symptoms.

I hope you find this helpful...Feel free to ask further.